[Icecast] Re: Severe problem with Icecast2 and streamTranscoder

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 01:31:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:12:30 +0200, Antti Näyhä <sairwas at sairwas.org> wrote:
> Geoff Shang wrote:
>
> > You *definitely* have enough CPU?  Transcodes can be expensive.
>
> Yeah, there's a lot of spare CPU power and memory.  The icecast server
> takes 0,0% CPU and each streamTranscoder instance only takes 0,0-0,3%.
> This is a dedicated Icecast server with 1GHz PIII and 512 MB RAM.

That's very, very unlikely. 'streamTranscoder' is normally used to
transcode streams (as far as I know, it's not possible to use it
without that), and even _decoding_ your incoming vorbis stream (I
assume it's vorbis, from the error message you give from
streamTranscoder below) is going to take much, much more than 0.3%
cpu. Encoding will take a lot of what's left...

This still sounds more likely to be cpu starvation than anything else,
and if whatever tool you're using to get cpu usage is telling you that
streamTranscoder is using that little cpu... well, I wouldn't trust it
at all (note that most of the common cpu-usage measuring apps have
sampling errors that sometimes make them misread really, really
badly).

Mike