[Icecast] Server URL vs. Listen URL

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Wed Feb 9 21:50:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 20:05, jplewis01 at comcast.net wrote:

> Server URL is used to tell the ICES Client where to send the Stream
> Source. In my case the ICE Client (behind the firewall) will connect
> to the ICECAST Server (also behind the firewall) to send the data to
> the server on whatever port is specified.

In any source client there has to be a way to state what to connect to
and what mountpoint to use or else your stream just won't go anywhere.

> ListenURL is sent to the directory and contains the URL used by
> clients on the Internet to connect to my stream. In my case they will
> connect to the Firewall which has port forwarding turned on and the
> firewall will connect through to the ICECast Server to deliver the
> stream back out to the client.

The usual cause of problems with listeners failing to connect to icecast
(where an icecast is behind a NAT) is that the <hostname> in the xml is
set to an internal name/IP.  It should be an externally addressable
name/IP as it is used for YP and the 'click to listen' link on the
status.xsl page

karl.