[Icecast] Any reliable command line clients?

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Wed Feb 9 20:59:16 UTC 2005

Is anyone using icecast and a client in any sort of reliable setting,
such as a backup studio to transmitter link for a radio station?
Something the requires reliability and good audio quality?  What client
are you using?  I ask because I haven't found any good clients that meet
my needs.  Here are my requirements:

1.  It should run in linux, for security and stability.

2.  It should be command line based as there is no need to run X to get
audio.  It just adds another unnecessary layer of instability and
insecurity.  And being in a remote location, command line control is a
requirement.

3.  It should support listener authentication since the backup stream
should be publicly available.

4.  It should preferably support ogg because I like it better, but if I
have to use mp3 for the sake of stability or audio quality, I will.

I haven't found anything yet that meets all these.  Here's what I've
tried and the results.

ogg123:  The obvious choice.  But it can't seem to do it for long.
After several hours it begins to get a very repeatable pattern of quick
hisses.  Usually pairs of two, the first one long, the second short.
Perhaps every 2 to 3 seconds.  Also, I notice that the buffer keeps
decreasing as it plays.  I've tried with multiple sound cards just in
case it was a sound card clock inconsistency, but it does the same thing
in both cases.

zinf:  This worked well for longer using the cmdline.ui.  But
inevitably, every time I've tried it, after a few days it just quits
without explanation.  That's not really good either.  I need something
that will always work.  I haven't tried zinf with mp3 yet, but I don't
know why it would be any different.

Are there any other command line ogg players?  As far as I know, you
can't run xmms without x, hence the name.

For mp3 I tried mpg321, which seems to be the popular choice.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to support authentication.  Plus the audio
quality is terrible.  It gets lots of hisses about every 3 seconds, and
a few times it just gets stuck on a short clip of sound over and over
again for a long period of time.  Not good either.

mpg123 does support listener authentication.  It might be my only
option, but I haven't yet tried it for an extended period of time.

What are others using?  I briefly tried to get alsaplayer working in
text mode unsuccessfully, but if anyone recommends it I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,
Joel