[Icecast] multiple sources, multiple passwords

Dennis Speekenbrink d.g.speekenbrink at silverstreak.nl
Wed Feb 9 00:46:50 UTC 2005

NOTE: I replied to him in person instead of on this list.
My mistake, here is the mail again, for the record.

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 00:31 +0100, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>

> Have you got some examples? what tags, parameters and values should I
> use, in what section ?

Hi,

I will show you the options you need to change.  Leave all the others in
place, or change them to your needs.
Taking the supplied icecast.xml as a base, you should edit:
<authentication>
   <source-password>password_only_you_know</source-password>
</authentication>
(once again, in <authentication> there are more settings, leave them,
and change if necessary)
This will keep people from creating new mountpoints (streams).

Now will enable a mountpoint so a user can stream via your server:
<mount>
   <mount-name>/stream.ogg</mount-name>
<username>the_name_of_the_user_you_want_to_allow_access_to</username>
   <password>his_password</password>
 </mount>
(once again: leave the other options, or change them if you want)

Now create new <mount> </mount> sections like the one you've just
created for each and every user you want to give access to.  Just use
different <mount-name>  , <username> and <password> settings for each.

The configuration file has a few comments on the specific options, so
judge for yourself if other things need to be adjusted (like number of
listeners).

Hope this will get you going,
If this is not enough help, reply with your icecast.xml and your
changes, so we can see more of what you're trying to do.

Dennis
p.s. you will need to give each source-client (your users) the values
<mount-name>, <username> and <password> of their specific mountpoint to
put into their broadcasting software.