[Icecast] Streaming MP3 issues with Windows Media Player

Bryan D. Brown bryan.brown at kcsb.org
Mon Feb 7 23:18:05 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I've set up a live mp3 stream for our non-commercial radio station,
and just recently I've received a slurry of complaints from folks
using Windows Media Player.

Most of the complaints vary, but seem to be consistent regarding long
buffer time, odd drop outs, long reconnect times, etc.

Normally, I refer folks to one of the infinitely better players out
there, but now the issue seems to be "but IT controls my computer and
what I install on it".  So I'm looking into doing the unthinkable,
and providing better support of WMP.

Are these issues with WMP common? Are there solutions/work-arounds
that we can do server side to solve them?

I apologize if this is a bit vague, but I'm still trying to figure
out where to start. I've done a bit of searching online, but haven't
really found any answers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bryan