[Icecast] Icecast dropping streams

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon Feb 7 14:23:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 14:05, Alek Andreev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had my stream running from ezstream 0.1.2 to icecast 2.2.0. It's been
> going for about a week, but two days ago I changed my icecast.xml. Since
> then, Icecast dropped my sources and stopped transmission twice.
> Everytime, it spew out
>
> xmlEncodeEntitiesReentrant : char out of range

These are usually down to non-utf8 chars being sent to icecast. Check
the metadata being sent

> [2005-02-07  01:14:47] WARN source/get_next_buffer Disconnecting source
> due to socket timeout
>
> in the error log. I'm pretty sure my source is still running when it
> gets cut off, because I can see it's output. Any ideas?

That message occurs if icecast hasn't received any data after a certain
amount of idle time (<source-timeout> seconds).  This could be down to
the source client (ezstream) not sending anything or may be a network
outage. If icecast disconnects the source client or if the network has a
problem then the source client should try to reconnect.

karl.