[Icecast] user Authentication - fail to add an user - Problem solved !

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 23:07:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:41:27 +0100, Ron Blok <ronblok at wxs.nl> wrote:
> YES YES YES !!!
> Problem solved!
>
> First of all ... I probably miss interpreted the following information from
> the documentation;
>
> "The first, filename, specifies the name of the file to use to store users
> and passwords. Note that this file need not exist (and probably will not
> exist when you first set it up). Icecast has built-in support for managing
> users and passwords via the web admin interface."
>
> I interpreted this as .. the authentication file would be generated by
> icecast.
> When I specified the absolute path., created the empty file end ensured the
> correct file permissions ... I was able to add users. At this moment I am
> not able to delete users trough the web interface ...... but before I start
> a new threat about this one I try to figure it out for myself first.

You interpreted this correctly. The authentication file should be
created by icecast. If it isn't... that sounds like a bug (so please
report it on our bugtracking systems at http://bugs.xiph.org).
Alternatively, it might be that the location you specified was simply
not writable by the user icecast was running as - if that's the case,
it won't be able to create the file.

Not being able to delete users would also be a bug. Again, I suspect
that's a permissions issue, though - icecast needs to create a
temporary file before overwriting the original file.

Mike