[Icecast] Stream drops during handoff. Suggestions?

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Thu Feb 3 18:28:28 UTC 2005

I think you've got the right idea.  The way I see to do it is set up a
quiet backup stream.  If you use ogg, make sure it isn't silence.
You'll need to give it -90 dB white noise.  Basically random 0, +1 an -1
values.  The backup stream can be served form the same computer as
icecast.  Probably the easiest way is to use ezstream to send the
silence file repeatedly.  Since you aren't re-encoding, it won't take
much cpu at all.  Just be sure to check on ezstream from time to time.
It inevitably stops working eventually for me.

Joel