[Icecast] Use of TCP_CORK instead of TCP_NODELAY

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Dec 28 17:03:15 UTC 2005

> Can you explain how some clients depend on a low delay when receiving data
> from icecast? How is the use of TCP_CORK going to break those? Would the
> application level buffering currently used in format_mp3.c not cause the
> same problem?

I imagine it would, yes. I don't use icecast for mp3 streaming,
though, personally, as I don't have a licensed encoder.

I can't think of any case where TCP_CORK would be appropriate for
icecast, though removing TCP_NODELAY (thus getting the default Nagle
algorithm behaviour) might help in some cases.

Mike