[Icecast] stupid user tricks with ices2: "No such file or directory" :P

John Hebert metanoid at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:58:58 UTC 2005

Michael and Karl,

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry for confusing you with bad test info. The contents of
playlist.txtthat I referred to in my earlier email did not match the
log result I
specified. However, I had ran the test with both a full and relative path in
playlist.txt; "/home/john/Visitors.ogg" and "Visitors.ogg".

Got it working, however. Tried playing a different ogg file than
Visitors.ogg and it worked!!! If you want to test the file
Visitors.oggyourself:
http://www.archive.org/download/Shapeshifting_In_Abalone/Visitors.ogg

My understanding of the encoding section in ices2.xml is that ices2 simply
tries to output the given ogg file with the supplied encoding parameters to
icecast.

Question: The encoding parameters in ices2.xml do not have to match the
encoding bitrates for the played file, correct?

I assume the answer is no, as the ogg file that worked was encoded with the
same sampling rate as Visitors.ogg.

Thanks again for your help. I will be creating a streaming radio station
soon. Pumped!

John Hebert