[Icecast] Icecast 2.3 RC1 Announcement

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Thu Aug 25 03:33:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 14:01, Joel Ebel wrote:

> I have some questions related to fallback-to-file though.  The
> fallback-to-file mounts seem to show up on the server status page.  Is
> there a way to hide them?  I don't really want people connecting to them
> directly, or really even knowing they are there.  With ezstream I just
> created a <mount> section and made it hidden.  Maybe I should try that.
>   it might still work.

added to svn

> This doesn't really affect me, but I'm curious about the behavior.  If
> you have an ogg or mp3 in the webroot, you used to be able to just
> download it and play it.  Now, it seems that if that file is configured
> as a fallback then you can't just download it anymore.  If you specify
> the path to that file, you just get it streamed to you.  Is there no way
> to just download that file anymore if it's configured as a fallback?
> This is probably a design consideration, but I'd like to understand the
> reasoning.  I'd sort of expected for you to be able to download the file
> if you accessed it directly, but have it streamed if you were to
> fallback to it.  I'm sure there's a reason, but I'd be interested in
> knowing it.

with previous fallback setups, a new listener can fallback if the
requested mountpoint is not active at the time. To allow for this, a
specified fallback to file acts as a streaming source with no stream
queue data, only intro file like data. This way it fits in well with the
fallback/fallback-override mechanism.  The data rate should be plenty
but it will loop.

To provide the named file like a normal download and a fallback you need
to refer to the file by different names, so a copy or link should be ok.

karl.