[Icecast] ices2, metadata, bumps and crashes

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 20:00:27 UTC 2005

On 8/16/05, Paul Martin <pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Caught it yesterday, as I was already running level 4:

This line:
[2005-08-15  04:10:58] EROR stream/ices_instance_stream Send error: No
error (Success)

is the one that catches my attention. Unfortunately, ices's error
logging is somewhat sub-standard. Can you cross reference this against
your icecast error.log to see if there's anything to indicate why this
instance errored out (which it did - the 'Success' being printed is a
problem with errno getting lost)?

> Well, ogg123 definitely has its own problems too, probably a 2^31
> rollover problem. (It spits out bursts of white noise after about 3
> hours at 44.1kHz.)

I think I've noticed that one in the past, but I almost never use
ogg123, so I haven't looked into it.

> The bump is noticeable. I suspect it's due to the encoder being
> reinitialised in order to get a new serial number.

That cause a substantial jump in both cpu usage and bitrate for a
moment, but if your client has any buffering at all (and most of them
buffer quite a lot), then that shouldn't be a problem in any way. I'm
curious as to why it is... it might just be the cpu usage causing the
(hardware) audio buffers to get starved slightly - the application
buffers (in ogg123 or other software) are more than big enough to
cope.

Mike