[Icecast] Problem? On-demand relay & max listeners redirect

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Thu Aug 4 14:52:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 11:54, Ricardo Meechan wrote:
> I think this might be a problem:
>
> Say I have a master stream called /aac with 20 max listeners
>
> I also have a on-demand relay with (master-redirect) enabled.
>

> Now the plan is, when the master stream is full it would redirect to the
> slave stream (a 302), but the slave stream cannot connect to the master
> as its currently full.
>
> So somehow the icecast server has to allow the relay stream to connect
> (either by reserving a set amount of connections for relays, or by
> kicking off a current listener on that stream to allow the relay to...
> relay)
>
> Is this a current problem or have I configured something wrong?

The 302 mechanism is really on the back burner for the moment, but the
mechanism does allow for by-passing the max-listeners check if the
master determines the connection to be a slave, which currently, is only
done if :-

<relay-user>/relay-password> in the master is set to.

. <master-relay-auth> is set to 1 so that <master-username> and
<master-password> are automatically passed in the case of automatically
defined relays

This only applies to the -kh branch as it could do with updating.

karl.