[Icecast] Re: Anyone seen this?

Chuck Tellechea chuckt at tellechea.org
Fri Apr 29 17:03:40 UTC 2005

Geoff,

lsof == List open files

If you have it installed it should be in: /usr/sbin/lsof
(At least that's where Debian puts it).

You would use it like this:

lsof -c icecast2

That would list every file (socket, pipe, regular file, etc.) open by
every icecast2 process running. You could then grep for instances of
values being present in particular fields in each record being
returned, and count all instances of such values appearing in all
records by using wc -l, etc.

For example, you could use something like the following:

root at aeicradio:~# lsof -c icecast2 | grep IPv4 | grep ESTABLISHED | wc
-l
36

Which would tell you that you have 36 currently established TCP
connections to your server.

lsof is VERY usefull.

What Linux version are you running? If Debian, just do an: apt-get
install lsof
If RedHat or a derivative, find the appropriate rpm and install it.