[Icecast] fallback-to-file caveat

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Fri Apr 15 22:46:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 21:36, Ian A. Underwood wrote:

> > if all your clients are actual players, you will be fine, but even one
> > wget will really warm your uplink :)
>
> This might seem like a stupid question, but how hard would it be to
> implement timing for a backup file, even if it had to be configured?  It
> would be preferable to have icecast serve the backup file than using
> ezstream to achieve it...if for just the simplicity of running one program.

The implementation is just for testing the functionality, it's a trivial
implementation which works like a source thread to drive the data
through.

While it would be possible for ogg to be timed, other formats would not
be, so there would be a consistency issue there.

> Unfortunately, this kind of fallback could potentially be used to launch
> a DoS attack on anyone who can manage to disrupt the source stream if
> timing isn't in place.

if someone manages to disrupt a source stream then DoS has already been
achieved.  Ideally I would want fserve to take over but the
fallback/override mechanism isn't in place currently, and it probably
wouldn't help the link saturation. I'm sure more tuning can be done but
I haven't decided on the way forward with it yet.

What I'll do for now is just disable the burst trigger on fallback file
only, so it will pause on th loop. we probably need some flexible
settings really but it should help.

karl.