[Icecast] how to update stream metadata by source client

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon Apr 11 20:19:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 20:40, Akos Maroy wrote:
> this is an ICE protocol question - how would a source client send an
> update of the stream metadata to an icecast 2 server?
>
> as much as I know, the source sends an HTTP-style header at the
> beginning, with various metadata fields, than an empty line, then starts
> to send the binary audio data to icecast.
>
> but if the metadata for the stream needs to be updated, I guess the
> source has to 'stop' the binary data flowing for a second, send the new
> metadata, then resume sending the binary data.

The handling of metadata is specific to the format, eg MP3 itself has no
in-stream metadata support, only the shoutcast-style streams have
metadata handling. Vorbis has in-stream metadata support but is handled
differently to MP3.

The metadata can be updated via an icecast URL at /admin/metadata, which
is needed if the source client only sends straight mp3

karl.