[Icecast] Victory

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Mon Apr 4 05:32:22 UTC 2005

Randolph Davis Hill wrote:

> 1. What can I do so that the record companies do not come after me ?
>   IS it ok to stream mp3 music ?

The record companies don't care what format the material is in, they care
what the actual content is and whether or not you have permission to stream
it. I'm not very clued up on the particulars.  Only Thompson will care if
you stream in MP3.

> 2. I did some test. Some of my friends players would only play a few
> seconds and they had to select play to get more data. They were on a
> slow link.

The slower the link, the lower the bitrate of the stream that they'll be
able to listen to.   You may have to do some tests to figure out what they
can manage.  Typically, people using 56k modems will have trouble with much
over 40kbps, 33.6k modem users will have trouble with much over 24kbps.

Geoff.