[Icecast] Help with Icecast / streaming to Windows Media player

Dan Stowell danstowell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 14:01:16 UTC 2005

Hi Chris,

I'll try and answer some of the easier questions:

> 2. Are there better options for streaming a list of files than my current
> configuration?

Probably not! Ices0.4 rocks because of its simplicity and stability.

> 3. How do I go about creating a link if I want to stream just 1 file, and
> have it played just once?

The easiest way to do it is to host the MP3 file just like any static
file, and then create an M3U file that references that one single
file. Most media players handle this nicely and treat it as a stream.

> 4. Eventually I want to create a nice-looking "radio"-like interface ... any
> suggestions for where to start?

Personally I'd start by looking at how to embed Quicktime objects into
a webpage - that's what we did for our station. The following link
shows an embedded player which start automatically:
http://www.mcld.co.uk/flatfour/?play=true

To read more about customising the way Quicktime player objects
appear, look here:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/qtwebfaq.html

To customise the look drastically, you might like to make the actual
quicktime object invisible and then use image-based javascript buttons
to trigger on/off/pause/etc.

You could also try building something in Flash, but last time I
checked Flash couldn't handle streamed MP3.

Best,
Dan

--
http://www.mcld.co.uk