[Icecast] Ices2 and Jack

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sun Sep 19 07:21:26 UTC 2004

Daniel Webb wrote:
>>From what I have read on some mailing lists, there is a jack module forices2
> that works quite well.  Why isn't this information on the ices2 web page or
> documentation?  Ices is useless to me without this, yet so awesome withit.  I
> saw requests from people for you to do this over a month ago.  What's the
> problem?

talk about coincidene: here's a short ices-jack-pico howto i posted
to linux-audio-user today:

> in case you were wondering how to get ices-jack to stream your jack graphs out on the net, here's a quick howto:
>
> browse svn.xiph.org, get the following modules from /trunk:
>
> ao, vorbis, ogg, ogg2, theora, speex, vorbis-tools, ogg-tools
> (do this even if you have ogg packages from your distro installed, it won't do no harm and makes sure you've got the latest'n'greatest)
>
> there's nothing interesting to configure afaik, so you can compile them(in that order) without interaction:
>
> for i in ao vorbis ogg ogg2 theora speex vorbis-tools ogg-tools; do svnco http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/$i; cd $i; ./configure && make install ; cd.. ; done

i forgot: you need to do ./autogen before the configure step.

> from icecast/branches/kh, check out
>
> libshout, icecast, ices
>
> again, not really anything to configure, so the for-loop can do the grunt work...
>

> now fire up icecast, fire up ices, connect it to your jack graph, and the fun starts.
>
> the default config files are extensively commented, but here's my config, in case you need some more inspiration:
> http://spunk.dnsalias.org/download/ices.xml
> http://spunk.dnsalias.org/download/icecast.xml
> (the source and server run on different hosts, and icecast runs chrooted and as user icecast)
>
> btw, a graph with an ogg edge between ices-jack and xmms-jack vertices makes a nice delay effect :) if you use feedback, there's interesting sound deterioration due to repeated ogg-encoding/decoding and noise buildup.here's me toying around with my bass and such a setup:
> http://spunk.dnsalias.org/download/netjam.ogg

if you have problems setting up jack, i suggest we discuss this on
linux-audio-user or the jackit list, it's probably not interesting
for most people here.

best,

jörn

	- Brian W. Kernighan