[Icecast] Questions on setting up icecast

Brendan Cully brendan at xiph.org
Tue Sep 14 15:45:37 UTC 2004

On Tuesday, 14 September 2004 at 10:38, oddsock wrote:
> yep, they simply forward the bitstream to icecast.  And in general,
> bitrate changes are handled by most listening clients, although very
> few I have found (if any) can handle samplerate changes
> appropriately.
>
> oddsock
> > At 10:03 AM 9/14/2004, you wrote:
> >
> >You mentioned these programs and their "no-reencoding" mode. Can they
> >handle collections of MP3s of different bitrate?

It might be worth mentioning that ices 0.4 will do lazy
reencoding. That is, if the bit rate, channels, and sample rate of the
source file match the declared bit rate, channels and sample rate of
the stream, ices will just pass the MP3 data through. But if there is
a mismatch, ices will reencode the file to match the stream
parameters.