[Icecast] Questions on setting up icecast

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Tue Sep 14 14:08:17 UTC 2004

At 04:14 AM 9/14/2004, you wrote:
>JLB wrote:
>>Sorry, gang. The FAQ didn't seem to answer me, nor did Googling...
>>I merely want a simple solution to do the following:
>>I am setting up a streaming server for in-house use.
>>I want it to broadcast the RAW MP3 DATA from my actual MP3 files, as I
>>listen to them in xmms.
>>In other words, I DO NOT want:
>>XMMS ---> decode to wave ---> re-encode to MP3 ---> icecast ---> listeners
>>I want:
>>XMMS ---> icecast ---> listeners
>>Surely this is do-able using a VBR stream? In other words, I DO NOT want
>>my MP3s to be decoded, then re-encoded, then sent over the network (the
>>re-encoding, of course, introducing further lossiness). I want the actual
>>raw MP3 frames to be sent as a VBR stream to the listeners. I want the MP3
>>to sound PRECISELY as good on the listening machine as on my machine.
>>Surely this is do-able?
>
>http://www.oddsock.org/tools/oddcastv2_xmms/

my plugin reencodes, so I don't think that's what you want.  In fact, I
don't know of any way to use XMMS in this way.  The problem, is that by the
time the DSP plugin gets the audio data, it's already been decoded.  You'd
have to write an XMMS input plugin to somehow intercept the data and send
it along to an icecast server.  Nothing like this has been written as far
as I know.

alternatively, you can use ices or ezstream in "non-reencoding" mode, which
is the closest to what you want.

oddsock