[Icecast] Questions on setting up icecast

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Tue Sep 14 14:01:08 UTC 2004

JLB wrote:

> I want it to broadcast the RAW MP3 DATA from my actual MP3 files, as I
> listen to them in xmms.

AFAIK, you can't do this.  Unless something in XMMS' architecture allows
you to get at the raw input data, I would think that decoding to wave would
be integral to playing it, hence this is what any effect plugins like
Oddcast will be given.  Plus, if you want to do dynamic compression or
crossfading, you *have* to decode.  No choice there.

The only way I know of sending straight MP3 data to Icecast is to use
either Ices 0.x (unix only) or Ezstream (Unix and win32).  Note that Ices
0.x *can* re-encode, so you'll have to specifically avoid that if you don't
want it.

You can get both of these from icecast.org.

Geoff.