[Icecast] fallback to static mp3 file?

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Sat Sep 11 18:57:00 UTC 2004

Karl Heyes wrote:

> Don't forget icecast does have file
> serving capabilities so it would be just a matter of doing internal
> changes to handle source to file serving client migration and vice
> versa.  I need to look at the specifics to an idea of the extent of the
> changes.

What would be cool is an initial static file being sent before joinging a
life stream, such as shoutcast can do.  For static situations, a static
file can be put in the calling M3U or PLS file, but I'm thinking about the
ability to do this for fallbacks.  We have two situations where this would
be useful.

First, at times we haave an automaation system which uses Oddsock's Song
Requester plugin to take requests when no-one is on the air.  It would be
great if, when a stream fell back to this stream on its own mountpoint, the
listener could be told that this was the case and to go to our website to
make requests.  New listeners would also benefit in this situation.

The other situation is that we have a backup loop that kicks in when no-one
is on.  We could have a loop of files that cycles, and a message at the
front that tells people of the break in transmission and thata programming
will resume shortly.  This means that anyone listening doesn't haave to
hear the same loop from the beginning all the time, but they can be told up
front what the situation is so they know.

> There are still some known issues to resolve for trunk but those are not
> easy to trigger and in fact are not really stability issues.

So how far away are we from a release?  I'm keen to deploy this code, but
I'm a bit reluctant to put development code up, though I could do this I
guess as it is pretty stable as you say.  The other question I have from a
friend is, if it's going to be awhile till the next release, are there any
windows binaries of the development code?

Geoff.