[Icecast] Stream File Type?

Brett Trent btrent at newsguy.com
Wed Sep 1 15:22:21 UTC 2004

I'm a newbie.

I've just installed Icecast2 and am streaming to it successfully via Nicecast (great app BTW).

My problem is that the stream from Icecast2 comes through as an .m3u which does not correctly open on any of the Mac or Windows machines that I've tried.  When broadcasting directly from Nicecast the file type is a .pls which both iTunes and WMP seem to deal with just fine right out of the box.

Is there a way to have Icecast2 send as some other type?  My users are tech-illiterate so making changes on their end it not an option.

Thanks,
Brett