[Icecast] Re: a few questions

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 15:47:13 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:36:50 -0500, Richard Morey wrote:

> I have just gotten a stream working and it is very cool. I am using
> ices0.4 to stream mp3s to icecast2 under redhat 9. I have a couple of
> questions, though:
>
> 1. No files are being written to the admin directory. It is successfully
> writing the access and error logs and the pid file. The path is correct
> in the icecast.xml file. The user has write access to the admin
> directory. Do I need to turn something on?
>
> 2. Also, no files are being written to the web directory. Same situation
> as above.
>
> 3. With ices0.4, is there any way to force ices to change the mp3 that
> it is playing while it is running in the background? I'd like to set up
> somekind of request system. Is there a script that does this?
>
> Thanks.

If I remember right, it's possible to tell ices to get its playlist from a
script - you give it the name of a script that returns the name of the
next playlist file every time it's called, which means you can generate
the playlist however you want. (E.g. a while back I wrote a script to take
the output from a web jukebox program (otto2) and feed it into ices for
streaming.)