[Icecast] Re: ices-kh dropping jack ports unexpectedly

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Oct 18 22:00:28 UTC 2004

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:36:41 +0100, Andy Baxter wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:15:44 +0100, EvilOverlord wrote:
>
>>> The setup I'm working with is an ecasound session relaying audio between
>>> its input and output ports, with its output connected to all the ices
>>> clients for the different streams we're running. Then I'm
>>> switching the ecasound input between different stream sources (line in,
>>> recorded audio, http relay etc.) I want to be able to do this switching
>>> without breaking the stream, which is why I've set things up this way.
>>>

>> This sounds like an incredible amount of effort when all you need is a 4
>> channel mixing desk and a live encoder...
>>
>> Is that not an option?
>>

> Maybe, but I'd rather try and get the system I thought of working before I
> try something else. thanks.

The reason I set it up that way is so we can leave the streaming clients
and the scripts that dump a copy of each show to the disk running without
a break, and just switch between different inputs without having to touch
that part of the system. E.g. switching over to repeats of the day's shows
automatically at the end of each day, or switching to an outside broadcast
that's being relayed in as a high quality stream. Also, the switching can
be done by a script, which could be useful for some things (like the end
of day repeater). But there are other ways of doing it like you say.

The main question is whether jackd and ices-kh are stable enough to be
used for a live system like this that needs to run every day without a
break, or whether it would be better to use something simpler even if it
won't do everything I want. (It's for doing a simulcast and show archive
of the broadcasts from a community radio station.)