[Icecast] ICECast in Flash / IEWin

Ian Andrew Bell hello at ianbell.com
Sat Oct 16 21:16:29 UTC 2004

I'd like to resurrect this orphaned thread:

	http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2003-December/006139.html

We're using the embedded flash player for listeners of pulverradio.com
and can't use 2.2 for relaying from our encoders.  Apparently we can
use Icecast v1.3

Although this is clearly a problem caused by ActiveX and Microsoft
boneheads that is a mountain that may prove difficult to heave in a
timely manner.

The fact that it can work with 1.3 indicates that there may have been
some behaviour in the old version that was improved upon for 2.x ...
perhaps future versions of Icecast could have a configuration flag to
deprecate 2.x behaviour to 1.3's styling for headers (which in my
limited understanding is where the problem lies), simply as a work
around for the problem that would still allow us to use the cool new
relaying features of 2.0 in our implementation.

Please?

-Ian.

A message from my developer on the issue follows:

Another long night.
I've been trying to find a way to make the streams work perfectly with
Icecast.  There is a forum-documented problem with Icecast 2.0.
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2003-December/thread.html

Streams play fine in Flash under the following circumstances:
- PC Mozilla / Opera
- All other flash supported platforms.
- Standalone

But not in IE on the PC.  This is because MS implements the Flash
plugin as an ActiveX control, and not as a third party plug-in.
The difference in that regard between 1.3 and 2.0 is a mystery and
neither Macromedia nor Icecast has an explanation.
I've tried several suggested solutions, including faking the headers
via a PHP passthru, faking the incoming filename, connecting to either
the m3u or direct to mp3, but no success.  The data is being
transferred to the client, but the Flash never plays the stream when
embedded in PC IE.

Did you use Icecast v1.3 for the original stream I tested with in
June?  If so, my question: What's the advantage in using 2.0?
It's documented that the problem doesn't exist in 1.3.  And I had no
problems embedding the original stream back then.

Ramon