[Icecast] Problem One: Running Icecast on Port 80..

Ian Andrew Bell hello at ianbell.com
Fri Oct 1 00:09:54 UTC 2004

I've got a redhat linux 9.0 box and I've made sure Apache is out of the
way, so that I can do what I really want to do, which is to run Icecast
on port 80 of the server, so listeners can grab the stream even through
the toughest firewall.   I have been wrestling with this for a number
of hours, consulted a few experts, and am coming up zilch.

Theoretically, I should be able to just run Icecast on Port 80 by
specifying Port 80 in the icecast.xml file like so:

   <listen-socket>
         <port>80</port>
   </listen-socket>

...but this is the error I get:

	Could not create listener socket on port 80
	Server startup failed. Exiting

I was told that I should try running icecast as root.  Try doing that,
and you get an error:

	WARNING: You should not run icecast2 as root
	Use the changeowner directive in the config file

Have googled for any sort of step-by-step instructions for something
even a little bit similar to this, but to no avail.

-Ian.