[Icecast] Multi-Level Fallbacks

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Sat Nov 6 17:47:48 UTC 2004

At 05:29 AM 11/6/2004, Dennis Heerema wrote:
>Hi There,
>
>Is there a nice helpfile to telle me how to set up:

apparently there was a bit of a disconnect on what actually is currently
supported in 2.1 regarding this.  Multi-level fallbacks are implemented,
however the part about automatic cascading of clients between fallbacks
based on their bitrate capability is not.  Adding this capability is
actually not too difficult given the way fallbacks are implemented, so we
plan on adding this as a TODO for 2.2.  Sorry for the confusion.  I've
updated www.icecast.org with a correct description of what we support
regarding multi-level fallbacks.  Here is what it reads now :

* Multi-level Fallbacks
Multi-level fallbacks allow for specifications of a series of fallback
mounts that you can use to automatically move listeners in the event of a
source being disconnected. In the event new listeners attach to the source
stream that has been disconnected, they are routed to the fallback mount.
Icecast now has fallback-override capability as well which means that in
the event of a source stream failure, listeners are moved to the fallback
mount, and then automatically recaptured when the original source stream
returns.

oddsock