[Icecast] Problems with 1.3

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Wed Nov 3 01:53:52 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 04:27, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
> After encountering a mysterious problem with Icecast 2.0 and streaming
> to Flash within IE for Windows, we've had to roll back to Icecast
> 1.3.12
>
> 	2.0 Problem here:
> 	http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/icecast/2004-October/007726.html
>
> Of course, I'm now having problems installing Icecast 1.3.12.

The website is, I think, very clear that 1.x is completely unsupported by us.
It even specifically says not to ask us about it.

You're encountering (probably, I can't check the URL you gave right now) a
flash bug, that nobody has suggested a reasonable approach to avoiding.

It has been suggested that the problem is that flash can't cope with not
getting a content-length header. The problem, of course, is that an icecast
stream HAS no well-defined length.

We also don't set content-length on served files; that should probably be
considered a bug.

I wonder if flash can cope with http/1.1 chunked transfer encodings (this is
the HTTP/1.1 way of signalling a well-defined length to an HTTP response (or
request, but many implementations screw that bit up) where the length is not
known in advance)? If it does, we could implement that (as an optional thing,
at least).

Mike