[icecast] xmms and icecast2

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Sat May 29 11:32:15 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 10:35, adam wrote:

> I have tried both oddcast and liveice plugins for XMMS (for Icecast1.3+2)
> which are great, however both require the gui to run and ideally I want to
> run the project without needing xwindows...
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how i stream the output from xmms (noxmms) to
> icecast without the xmms gui?

If you don't mind the transcoding aspect (ie if source material is high
bitrate) and you have a soundcard then use xmms as you would normally
and set capture on PCM, wav or mix (depending on the soundcard settings)
in the mixer and encode with ices2 (for ogg) or darkice (for mp3) using
live input for sending to icecast.

karl.