[icecast] long delay

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Tue May 25 16:56:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> Traditional radio is often delayed as well.  This is generally not a
> problem.  Can I ask why you care? :)

Traditional radio is often artificially delayed when doing talkback so that
if a caller crosses the line, there's time to dump them before it gets to
air.  This delay is usually in the realm of 7-10 seconds.  A regular
broadcast with no such artificial delay is more or less instantaneous, with
the only perceptual delays I've ever been able to notice introduced in
audio processing equipment before the signal actually leaves the station.

I'd be curious to know what kind of latency digital broadcasting systems
like Eureka 147 experience.

Geoff.