[icecast] alsa and ices2

sonnik sonnik at cox.net
Tue May 25 04:49:23 UTC 2004

I just got done installing Fedora Core 2.  I'd just like to comment for the
searchable archive that anyone wishing to use ALSA with ices should download
and install the appropriate "alsa-lib-devel" package.

I had to poke around a bit to figure this out, and I noticed a few previous
archive questions on the subject.

If you are having problems getting the ALSA configuration described here
(http://www.icecast.org/files/ices_docs/inputs.html) to initialize, download
"alsa-lib-devel", and rebuild/install your ices binary.

This seems to have fixed some sound quality issues I was after initially
after the install.  I haven't read up on how exactly ALSA remains compatible
with OSS, but I imagine there could be potential for some degrading of the
sound quality.