[icecast] synchronous home network streaming

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue May 25 02:03:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 11:10:03AM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:

> Icecast isn't really designed for doing this. However, you could
> re-synchronise on the client side (using a custom client) - there's enough
> information in the bitstream (at least if you're using vorbis) to do this.

You might also take a look at jack (jackit.sf.net) which can pipe
uncompressed audio over a lan fast enough for simultaneous playback,
as least assuming the two systems have similar output latency. This uses
a lot more bandwidth of course, but won't be significant on a 100 Mbps
network. It also won't be a precise at actual synchronized playback, but
you can probably tune it with delay loops if there's noticable
differences in timing.

I'm not sure how well supported it is on windows though, so some hacking
may be necessary.

See the jack.udp client at http://www.alphalink.com.au/~rd/

FWIW,
 -r