[icecast] "protecting" streams

Mark J. Lastdrager mark.lastdrager at pine.nl
Mon May 24 19:33:50 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am trying to protect some streams from being linked directly from
other sites. One way to partly accomplish this is to change the
filenames of the .m3u files every night, but this does not prevent
people from directly linking to the icecast server or even writing their
own .m3u files and putting them on their own site.

So I thought of writing a script that changes the TCP portnumber
listeners connect to every night and that automatically generates new
.m3u files, with some form of protection on it so people can not
directly link to them. Mind you, I do not want to completely prevent
people from listening to the streams, I simply want them to visit my
site first and from there connect to the streams.

Is this the only way of doing this, or am I missing an important icecast
feature here?

-- Mark