[icecast] High CPU load

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Fri May 21 00:35:58 UTC 2004

On Friday 21 May 2004 09:02, Ben Robert wrote:
> I am running Icecast2 and Ices2 on Redhat Linux 9. I have two ices running
> with two different configuration sending to Icecast and the cpu load for
> each is around 7.0. The playlist contains ogg files encoded using Ogg
> Encoder Decoder 1.2.8b from (www.mediatwins.com) with 64kbps, 44.1KHz, VBR.
> The  <encode>  </encode> is the same for both configurations and here it

> and the %CPU is around 13
>
> How can I reduce the cpu load?

As previously explained: either live with the cpu load (it's not unreasonably
high for doing on-the-fly reencoding), or disable re-encoding (which means
streaming at the bitrate of your playlist files - you could encode these
seperately to the desired bitrate).

There's nothing wrong here - everything is working as you should expect.

Mike