[icecast] OT: Latest Linux Real player

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Tue May 4 15:39:26 UTC 2004

Hi:

I know this is off-topic, but figured someone here would know, particularly
given Xiph's involvement in Helix.

Up till now I've used TRplayer <http://linux-speakup.org/trplayer.html> to
play Realmedia content.  This is because, as a Blind person, I've no need
or desire for X11, and TRplayer uses the Realplayer libs without all that X
overhead.  but now I would like to play a stream that needs Realplayer 10,
or at least seems to need it.

The stream I tried to play, which is one of many clips on the site, sent a
V3 RAM file which my current version understandably choked on.  I tried
extracting the URL and playing it, but it gave a vague, non-specific error
message (not surprising when I'm not really getting the UI it was designed
for).

Ultimately I'm looking for a text-mode interface to the latest Linux player
for Real content, but I'll settle for cludging with XVFB if I have to
(that's what we used to do before TRplayer came along).  I'm guessing that
HelixPlayer is probably the go, but this stuff doesn't seem very intuitive.
The real.com site has a sucky javascript front page and I'd rather not have
to mess with that in my non-javascript browser if I don't have to.

All help appreciated.

Geoff.