[icecast] Icecast + oddcast + voice

Geoff Shang gshang at pacific.net.au
Mon Mar 22 13:46:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Cezary Statkiewicz wrote:

>  Awgggh... Right. My fault. I didn't look into readme as I should.
> Thanks for help:) Now it works almost fine (except for I can't say
> simulatineously with music).

ah.  I'm not able to run XMMS myself right now, I should be able to run
XMMS 2 when it matures.  does the Oddcast plugin for XMMS have the
equivalent of the advanced controls?  It should have something like a "push
to talk" button.  This way, oddcast picks up your mic and mixes it with the
music that comes from XMMS.  Note: This is how the advanced controls in the
shoutcast DSP works, I'm assuming this is what the Oddcast DSP does too but
I have never used it.  Note also that you don't need the recorder plugin to
use this approach.

The other thing you can do is use XMMS (or equivalent player) to play the
music, use a mixer program to mute and unmute your mic in the playback side
of things, and use either another XMMS instance or something like ices2 or
darkice to grab the soundcard input and send it off to your server.  Note
that to do this, your soundcard has to support capturing the soundcard's
own output.  The SB Live can do this, for example.  This also has the
advantage of being able to hear the mix that is going out.

You may wish to use the two instances method if you want to apply something
like dynamic compression to the signal before sending it out.  Of course,
something like postfish can do this too, but I've never grabbed it from the
Xiph repository to try it out.

Geoff.