[icecast] slow streaming

ianux ianux at free.fr
Wed Mar 17 21:02:36 UTC 2004

hi,
here is my configuration :
I've got a NATed network through a linux box
the icecast server is running on the router
I'm running ices 2.0 beta 4 on my own box
everything seems to work fine, BUT:
 - I don't appear on yp directories (which are of course commented out in the icecast config file)
even with my public IP address or a dyndns domain
 - the stream lags on the internet. Clients bufferize every ten seconds (with only one listener!)
I resample the ogg stream on ices from 128kbps to about 48kbps but it changes nothing!
is it due to the client which handles poorly ogg stream?
Do I need more bandwith? I have xDSL with about 512K of upload bandwith with in fact 96-128K
available for icecast. What is the needed bandwidth for every listener and for a standard quality ?

Please try it on http://ianux.free.fr/listen.pls