[icecast] bit/bytes

oddsock oddsock at oddsock.org
Tue Mar 2 15:53:40 UTC 2004

At 09:36 AM 3/2/2004, you wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 01:25:00PM -0600, oddsock wrote:
>
> > the "listener-bandwidth-sharing" aspects of p2p broadcasting has had about
> > 2 years now to mature.  I've talked with people at Abacast, peercast, etc
> > and they've all said the same thing... "We've got it licked, we have a
> > viable solution"...however, it's been 2 years now since it all started
> > surfacing, and I don't really think we are much closer than we were to a
> > viable solution now then we were back then.  This is not saying that it
> > won't EVER happen, but my feelings is that if it hasn't happened (taken
> > off) by now, there is a good chance it never will.
>
>Any idea if this is a technical or a social problem?
it's a mix of both really, peercast, for instance, has some minor technical
"issues" that (as far as I know) haven't really been addressed..I don't
know the specifics of the issues, but they have been wildly reported on the
peercast message forums.  Others have had just general issues of adoption
and getting the word out...(which is a technical and social issue)

probably it's more of a social issue though, in the fact that most
broadcasters are all over technology like this (for obvious reasons, if you
can support many listeners without requiring bandwidth to do so, who would
NOT jump over this).. The problem I think is that listeners far outweigh
the number of broadcasters... And most listeners (not counting the
broadcasters that ARE listeners) really don't want to be bothered with this
kind of technology.  They really don't benefit much from it, the
broadcasters do...Sure, you can say that without it, maybe they wouldn't be
able to listen to the stations they really want to, but the reality is that
there is really a ton of great music out there, in the traditional non-p2p
form...what motivation do I have as a listener to get on board with it,
which requires me to download stuff and share my precious upload bandwidth ?

oddsock