[icecast] Bizarre (and irritating) ices2 error

Karl Heyes karl at xiph.org
Mon Mar 1 12:23:50 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 07:42, M Edwards wrote:
> I get this error every time I try to start ices:
>
> ices: relocation error: ices: undefined symbol: resolver_initialize
>
> I'm running a Celeron with 64MB of RAM which up until last moth, ran ices with
> absolutely no complaint.

nothing like that has changed in ices or libshout in the last month or
so.

> Here are the steps I've taken to resolve this problem:
> Full update from debian/unstable
> -no effect

*shrugs

> Full reinstall of all dependencies using CVS checkouts
> -ices fails to compile claiming libshout isn't thread-safe. I've done
> everything in my power to make sure the libraries are there for libshout and
> during its ./configure run it appears to find -pthread (or whatever the fourth
> option is)

o either the ices check is failing, or you really have a non-threaded
libshout. The config.log will be more specific, email it to me.

> Installation of libshout3 and ices2 debian packages from Keegan's site
> -no effect

no indication if the ices is Beta 4 ?

> There is absolutely no documentation on this error from google. In fact the
> closest I get is a CVS examination of a commit included ices.c
> (http://www.xiph.org/archives/cvs/3587.html) where resolver_initalize is
> REMOVED in favor of shout_init (if my reading is correct).

that is correct, the net code is only used for the libshout connections,
so now the net initialisation is done in the shout_init. That applies to
both threaded and non-thread builds of libshout.

karl.