[icecast] bit/bytes <= broadcasting : the state of art ?

EISELE Pascal lemmingsml at nerim.fr
Mon Mar 1 10:21:16 UTC 2004

Hi,

Our webradio (Let's Go Zik - http://www.letsgozik.com) works with
donation and partenship. I think it's the only way to keep a webradio
alive for the moment... We are making our radio in a associative way...
It's quite hard to "find" listeners. Currently we are nearly
broadcasting for 60 simultaneous listeners (and approx. 5000 differents
listeners per months)...
The problem is the same for everybody : bandwith !
Multicast is not a reliable solution for the moment because operating
systems such as Windows doesn't support it yet (Windows 95,95,ME,NT).
Moreover, the worldwilde web is not multicast ready yet !
The P2P broadcasting is not the solution, I think... Here (in France),
connection speed are 512 Kbps for download and 128 Kbps for upload. So,
a listener couldn't re-send correctly the stream to another. Moreover,
P2P broadcasting increase delay between the "real sound" (that are
encoded at the studio) and the sound heard by listeners...
I think that a Java Applet for P2P webradio should be great but it's not
possible... Java Applets cannot be connected to something different from
the server that they come from. In fact, it's possible but you must
"sign" the applet with a official and valide certificate. Such
certificates costs 200$ or euros per years...

Bests regards,
Pascal EISELE (alias Lemmings)
http://www.letsgozik.com