[Icecast] icecast and smp

Ralph Giles giles
Wed Jun 16 09:41:36 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:35:25PM +0300, Taymour A. El Erian wrote:

> ~    I have just installed Ice cast and I really like it. I want to
> stream a radio station which expects 6000 concurrent listener. I was
> thinking of using an SMP machine with Linux running.
> Does Ice cast make use of SMP, does anyone have sizing references .

I don't know much about it, but icecast should be able to scale this
far. It does use threading internally, but not to an extensive level.

The real problem with 6000 concurrent listeners is the bandwidth. At
128 kbps, that's 768 Mbps, which is more than almost any host can
sustain. The usual method here is to set up a handfull of servers
in a round-robin, and have each relay from a master icecast instance.

Hope that helps,
-r