[Icecast] Error Syncing to MPEG

kevin kjackey
Tue Jun 8 11:08:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 12:12, kevin wrote:
> I am trying to relay a streamtuner Live365 stream across a ssh tunnel to
> a remote XP pc, where I would pick it up using winamp.
>
> I have a similar setup with a non-live365 stream routed using
> streamripper to port 9001 and this plays correctly in winamp
>
> For my Live365 stream, I have a RealVNC root session that is streaming
> the Live365 broadcast from streamtuner (using XMMS). I can see XMMS
> playing the output to the sound card on the remote machine. I then link
> up an icecast server (servername = localhost) as a relay server. Next I
> fire up darkice to capture the soundcard audio, and that seems to be
> working correctly. when I try to connect to port 8000 / 8001 with winamp
> I get the message "error synching to MPEG".
>
> What would cause this error? Is my setup correct? Please let me know if
> I need to add the text of my .cfg files to this thread. Thanks for the
> help!!!

In reviewing other messages on this list, I decided it would be good to
go ahead and post my configuration files. Here is my darkice.cfg:

# sample DarkIce configuration file, edit for your needs before using
# see the darkice.cfg man page for details

# this section describes general aspects of the live streaming session
[general]
duration        = 0          # duration of encoding, in seconds. 0 means
forever
bufferSecs      = 10         # size of internal slip buffer, in seconds

# this section describes the audio input that will be streamed
[input]
device          = /dev/dsp  # OSS DSP soundcard device for the audio
input
sampleRate      = 22050     # sample rate in Hz. try 11025, 22050 or
44100
bitsPerSample   = 16        # bits per sample. try 16
channel         = 2         # channels. 1 = mono, 2 = stereo

# this section describes a streaming connection to an IceCast server
# there may be up to 8 of these sections, named [icecast-0] ...
[icecast-7]
# these can be mixed with [icecast2-x] and [shoutcast-x] sections
#[icecast-0]
#bitrateMode     = cbr       # constant bit rate
#bitrate         = 96        # bitrate of the mp3 stream sent to the
server
#quality         = 0.8       # encoding quality
#server          = localhost # host name of the server
#port            = 8000      # port of the IceCast server, usually 8000
#password        = au752806  # source password to the IceCast server
#mountPoint      = sample96  # mount point of this stream on the IceCast
server
#name            = DarkIce trial
#                            # name of the stream
#description     = This is only a trial
#                            # description of the stream
#url             = http://www.yourserver.com
#                            # URL related to the stream
#genre           = my own    # genre of the stream
#public          = no        # advertise this stream?

# this section describes a streaming connection to an IceCast2 server
# there may be up to 8 of these sections, named [icecast2-0] ...
[icecast2-7]
# these can be mixed with [icecast-x] and [shoutcast-x] sections
[icecast2-0]
bitrateMode     = abr       # average bit rate
format          = mp3       # format of the stream: ogg vorbis
bitrate         = 96        # bitrate of the stream sent to the server
server          = localhost
# host name of the server
port            = 8000      # port of the IceCast2 server, usually 8000
password        = au752806  # source password to the IceCast2 server
mountPoint      = sample96  # mount point of this stream on the IceCast2
server
name            = DarkIce trial
# name of the stream
description     = This is only a trial
# description of the stream
url             = http://www.yourserver.com
# URL related to the stream
genre           = my own    # genre of the stream
public          = no        # advertise this stream?

# this section describes a streaming connection to a ShoutCast server
# there may be up to 8 of these sections, named [shoutcast-0] ...
[shoutcast-7]
# these can be mixed with [icecast-x] and [icecast2-x] sections
#[shoutcast-0]
#bitrateMode     = vbr       # variable bit rate mode
#quality         = 0.5       # encoding quality
#server          = yp.yourserver.com
#                            # host name of the server
#port            = 8001      # source port of the ShoutCast server,
usually 8001
#password        = hackme    # source password to the ShoutCast server
#name            = DarkIce trial
#                            # name of the stream
#url             = http://www.yourserver.com
#                            # URL related to the stream
#genre           = my own    # genre of the stream
#public          = yes       # advertise this stream?
#irc             = irc.yourserver.com
#                            # IRC info related to the stream
#aim             = aim here  # AIM info related to the stream
#icq             = I see you too
#                            # ICQ info related to the stream

Here is my icecast.cfg:
<icecast>
<limits>
<clients>100</clients>
<sources>2</sources>
<threadpool>5</threadpool>
<queue-size>102400</queue-size>
<client-timeout>30</client-timeout>
<header-timeout>15</header-timeout>
<source-timeout>10</source-timeout>
</limits>

<authentication>
<!-- Sources log in with username 'source' -->
<source-password>au752806</source-password>
<!-- Relays log in username 'relay' -->
<relay-password>au752806</relay-password>

<!-- Admin logs in with the username given below -->
<admin-user>admin</admin-user>
<admin-password>au752806</admin-password>
</authentication>

<!-- Uncomment this if you want directory listings -->
<!--
<directory>
<yp-url-timeout>15</yp-url-timeout>
<yp-url>http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi</yp-url>
</directory>
<directory>
<yp-url-timeout>15</yp-url-timeout>
<yp-url>http://www.oddsock.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi</yp-url>
</directory>
-->

<hostname>localhost</hostname>

<!-- You can use these two if you only want a single listener -->
<port>8000</port>
<bind-address>127.0.0.1</bind-address>

<!-- You may have multiple <listener> elements -->
<listen-socket>
<port>8000</port>
<!-- <bind-address>127.0.0.1</bind-address> -->
</listen-socket>
<!--
<listen-socket>
<port>8001</port>
</listen-socket>
-->

<!--<master-server>127.0.0.1</master-server>-->
<!--<master-server-port>8001</master-server-port>-->
<!--<master-update-interval>120</master-update-interval>-->
<!--<master-password>hackme</master-password>-->

<relay>
<server>127.0.0.1</server>
<port>8001</port>
<mount>/sample96</mount>
<local-mount>/sample97</local-mount>

<relay-shoutcast-metadata>0</relay-shoutcast-metadata>
</relay>

<!-- Only define a <mount> section if you want to use advanced
options,
like alternative usernames or passwords
<mount>
<mount-name>/example-complex.ogg</mount-name>

<username>othersource</username>
<password>hackmemore</password>

<max-listeners>1</max-listeners>
<dump-file>/tmp/dump-example1.ogg</dump-file>
<fallback-mount>/example2.ogg</fallback-mount>
</mount>
-->

<fileserve>1</fileserve>

<paths>
<!-- basedir is only used if chroot is enabled -->
<basedir>/usr/share/icecast</basedir>

<!-- Note that if <chroot> is turned on below, these paths must
both
be relative to the new root, not the original root -->
<logdir>/var/log/icecast</logdir>
<webroot>/usr/share/icecast/web</webroot>
<adminroot>/usr/share/icecast/admin</adminroot>

<!-- <pidfile>/usr/share/icecast/icecast.pid</pidfile> -->

<!-- Aliases: treat requests for 'source' path as being for
'dest' path
May be made specific to a port or bound address using the
"port"
and "bind-address" attributes.
-->
<!--
<alias source="/foo" dest="/bar"/>
-->
</paths>

<logging>
<accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
<errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
<loglevel>4</loglevel>  <!-- 4 Debug, 3 Info, 2 Warn, 1 Error -->
</logging>

<security>
<chroot>0</chroot>
<changeowner>