[icecast] ices2 and Icecast2 on debian configuration question

David Marceau davidmarceau at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 1 20:28:32 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I have a Debian sarge 512 MB RAM machine with icecast2 and ices2 that I
installed via aptitude.  I have a 3MBit/s download and 800KBit/s upload
link.

I would like to configure icecast2 and ices2 properly.

Here is my situation:
1)I have a dtdns address omac.darktech.org
2)icecast2 and ices2 on port 8000 would be fine.
3)I simply want to broadcast my 6 year old niece's voice which I have
converted to .ogg using the blade encoder.
i.e. bladeenc elyse4.wav elyse4.ogg
3.3)I don't seem to need a relay since I am running both icecast2 and
ices2 on the same machine.
4)I ran ices2 ices-playlist.xml
5)I ran icecast2 -c icecast.xml
6)I went to my brother's machine who uses another internet provider and
uses a windows ME box(non-techie guy).  I did
http://omac.darktech.org:8000/elyse4.ogg
7)Instead of delivering elyse4.ogg as a stream, it seemed to deliver the
entire file before it played it in winamp.
8)I didn't quite configure everything properly because I was unsure as
to what the playlist.txt file should contain.  I guessed and only placed
"elyse4.ogg" in it.

Questions:
1)What do I have to change in my ices2 and icecast2 configs in order for
it to stream instead of doing a complete file transfer?
2)What is the execution order for ices2 and icecast2.  Should I start
ices2 first and then icecast2 or do icecast2 first and then ices2
second?  I am guessing it should be icecast2 first but the documentation
does not seem to tell me that.
3)Since I am running both ices2 and icecast2 on the same machine, do I
still need a user password for ices2 and icecast2 to communicate to each
other?
4)Considering my 800KBit/s upload bandwidth, what would be the
recommended maximum number of listeners that I could stream? I am
guessing that 800Kbit/64= 12...roughly twelve 64Kbit streams.  Is this
the correct method or is there more that I should consider here?  I am
guessing there is but it's best to ask right?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Here are my icecast2 and ices2 xml config files:
<icecast>
     <limits>
         <clients>2</clients>
         <sources>2</sources>
         <threadpool>5</threadpool>
         <queue-size>102400</queue-size>
         <client-timeout>30</client-timeout>
         <header-timeout>15</header-timeout>
         <source-timeout>10</source-timeout>
     </limits>

     <authentication>
         <!-- Sources log in with username 'source' -->
         <source-password>gnuckgnuck1</source-password>
         <!-- Relays log in username 'relay' -->
         <relay-password>gnuckgnuck1</relay-password>

         <!-- Admin logs in with the username given below -->
         <admin-user>admin</admin-user>
         <admin-password>gnuckgnuck1</admin-password>
     </authentication>

     <!-- Uncomment this if you want directory listings -->
     <!--
     <directory>
         <yp-url-timeout>15</yp-url-timeout>
         <yp-url><a href="http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi</yp-url">http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi</yp-url</a>>
     </directory>
     <directory>
         <yp-url-timeout>15</yp-url-timeout>
         <yp-url><a href="http://www.oddsock.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi</yp-url">http://www.oddsock.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi</yp-url</a>>
     </directory>
      -->

     <hostname>localhost</hostname>

     <!-- You can use these two if you only want a single listener -->
     <!--<port>8000</port> -->
     <!--<bind-address>127.0.0.1</bind-address>-->

     <!-- You may have multiple <listener> elements -->
     <listen-socket>
         <port>8000</port>
         <!-- <bind-address>127.0.0.1</bind-address> -->
     </listen-socket>
     <!--
     <listen-socket>
         <port>8001</port>
     </listen-socket>
     -->

     <!--<master-server>127.0.0.1</master-server>-->
     <!--<master-server-port>8001</master-server-port>-->
     <!--<master-update-interval>120</master-update-interval>-->
     <!--<master-password>hackme</master-password>-->
     <!--
     <relay>
         <server>127.0.0.1</server>
         <port>8001</port>
         <mount>/example.ogg</mount>
         <local-mount>/different.ogg</local-mount>

         <relay-shoutcast-metadata>0</relay-shoutcast-metadata>
     </relay>
     -->

     <!-- Only define a <mount> section if you want to use advanced options,
          like alternative usernames or passwords
     <mount>
         <mount-name>/elyse4.ogg</mount-name>
         <username>gnuckgnuck1</username>
         <password>gnuckgnuck1</password>

         <max-listeners>1</max-listeners>
         <dump-file>/tmp/elyse4.ogg</dump-file>
         <fallback-mount>/elyse4.ogg</fallback-mount>
     </mount>
     -->

     <fileserve>1</fileserve>

     <paths>
                <!-- basedir is only used if chroot is enabled -->
         <basedir>/usr/share/icecast2</basedir>

         <!-- Note that if <chroot> is turned on below, these paths must
both
              be relative to the new root, not the original root -->
         <logdir>/root/myradiostation</logdir>
         <webroot>/root/myradiostation</webroot>
         <adminroot>/root/myradiostation</adminroot>
         <pidfile>/root/myradiostation/icecast.pid</pidfile>

         <!-- Aliases: treat requests for 'source' path as being for
'dest' path
              May be made specific to a port or bound address using the
"port"
              and "bind-address" attributes.
           -->
         <!--
         <alias source="/foo" dest="/bar"/>
           -->
     </paths>

     <logging>
         <accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
         <errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
               <loglevel>0</loglevel> <!-- 4 Debug, 3 Info, 2 Warn, 1 Error -->
     </logging>

     <security>
         <chroot>1</chroot>
         <changeowner>
             <user>icecast2</user>
             <group>icecast</group>
         </changeowner>

     </security>
</icecast>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ices>
     <!-- run in background -->
     <background>0</background>
     <!-- where logs, etc go. -->
     <logpath>/root/myradiostation</logpath>
     <logfile>ices.log</logfile>
     <!-- 1=error,2=warn,3=info,4=debug -->
     <loglevel>0</loglevel>
     <!-- set this to 1 to log to the console instead of to the file
above -->
     <consolelog>0</consolelog>

     <!-- optional filename to write process id to -->
     <!-- <pidfile>/home/ices/ices.pid</pidfile> -->

     <stream>
         <!-- metadata used for stream listing (not currently used) -->
         <metadata>
             <name>Elyse Thomson</name>
             <genre>talking and singing</genre>
             <description>debut internet radio appearance</description>
         </metadata>

         <!-- input module

             The module used here is the playlist module - it has
             'submodules' for different types of playlist. There are
             two currently implemented, 'basic', which is a simple
             file-based playlist, and 'script' which invokes a command
             to returns a filename to start playing. -->

         <input>
             <module>playlist</module>
             <param name="type">basic</param>
             <param name="file">playlist.txt</param>
             <!-- random play -->
             <param name="random">0</param>
             <!-- if the playlist get updated that start at the
beginning -->
             <param name="restart-after-reread">1</param>
             <!-- if set to 1 , plays once through, then exits. -->
             <param name="once">0</param>
         </input>

                <!-- Stream instance
             You may have one or more instances here. This allows you to
             send the same input data to one or more servers (or to
different
             mountpoints on the same server). Each of them can have
different
             parameters. This is primarily useful for a) relaying to
multiple
             independent servers, and b) encoding/reencoding to multiple
             bitrates.
             If one instance fails (for example, the associated server goes
             down, etc), the others will continue to function correctly.
             This example defines two instances as two mountpoints on the
             same server.  -->
         <instance>
             <!-- Server details:
                 You define hostname and port for the server here, along
with
                 the source password and mountpoint.  -->
             <hostname>localhost</hostname>
             <port>8000</port>
             <password>gnuckgnuck1</password>
             <mount>/example1.ogg</mount>

             <!-- Reconnect parameters:
                 When something goes wrong (e.g. the server crashes, or the
                 network drops) and ices disconnects from the server, these
                 control how often it tries to reconnect, and how many times
                 it tries to reconnect. Delay is in seconds.
                 If you set reconnectattempts to -1, it will continue
                 indefinately. Suggest setting reconnectdelay to a large
value
                 if you do this.
             -->
             <reconnectdelay>2</reconnectdelay>
             <reconnectattempts>5</reconnectattempts>

             <!-- maxqueuelength:
                 This describes how long the internal data queues may
be. This
                 basically lets you control how much data gets buffered
before
                 ices decides it can't send to the server fast enough, and
                 either shuts down or flushes the queue (dropping the data)
                 and continues.
                 For advanced users only.
             -->
             <maxqueuelength>80</maxqueuelength>

             <!-- Live encoding/reencoding:
                 Currrently, the parameters given here for encoding MUST
                 match the input data for channels and sample rate. That
                 restriction will be relaxed in the future.
             -->
             <encode>
                 <nominal-bitrate>64000</nominal-bitrate> <!-- bps. e.g.
64000 for 64 kbps -->
                 <samplerate>44100</samplerate>
                 <channels>2</channels>
             </encode>