[Icecast] Winamp Issues

Christopher christopher
Thu Jul 22 15:28:02 UTC 2004

I'm currently working on a streaming radio server that will be
streaming randomized archive shows 90% of the time and then live shows
10% of the time.  The solution I came up with was to have /main the
archive mountpoint and have a /live for the live shows.  What we want
to do is use the functionality of icecast's moveusers.xsl to move them
to the live at the specified time and have /live's fallback to be /main
to minimize dead air.  We've overcome the the issue with having users
come on to /main after the initial moveuser by just having a script to
move everyone over on a set interval during the live shows.  My problem
is that for some reason winamp and a few others don't respond properly
to this move.  MPlayer, xmms, and iTunes seem to handle it fine but
winamp will try to connect and eventually just stop playing.  Is this a
known issue and is there a known work around, and also does anyone have
a better idea move the users to a live stream and still maintain a way
to keep down dead air?