[Icecast] Installing Icecast...

Ian Andrew Bell hello
Thu Jul 15 18:20:38 UTC 2004

I'm trying (and failing) to install Icecast on a fresh-off-the-line
Redhat 9.0 box.

When I attempt to install the RPM with the command:

# rpm -i icecast-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm

..the result is:

error: Failed dependencies:
curl >= 7.10.0 is needed by icecast-2.0.1-1

...so okay, I wonder to myself, which verion of curl do I have running?

# yum info curl

...and I learn that I am running a very slightly older version of curl:

Looking in Installed Packages:
Name   : curl
Arch   : i386
Version: 7.9.8
Release: 5
Size   : 499.90 kB
Group  : Applications/Internet
Repo   : Locally Installed

...so fair enough, off I go (grumble, grumble) to find curl.  But my
version is the newest registered with any of the 6 or so sites I have
in my yum.conf file.  I download it manually and once I decompress it,
I need to install curl:

# rpm -i TWWcurl711-7.11.1-1.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
TWWopenssl097 >= 0.9.7b is needed by TWWcurl711-7.11.1-1
TWWzlib11 >= 1.1.4 is needed by TWWcurl711-7.11.1-1

..oops.  Wow.  Yet more dependencies.  But... once again, the most
modern version of openssl registered with yum (again, across 6 major
linux package repositories) is 0.9.7a and NOT 0.9.7b .  And zlib11
seems to be nonexistent except in the TWW version.

Then I realize that these all come from some web site called
"thewrittenword.com", I surf to their site, and I realize they have
their own custom package manager, pkgutils.  I download it and I end up
with a file:  pkgutils-1.5.14.tar.bz2  ... what the hell is a BZ2 file?
Oh, it's some obscure form of compression (is this really so big of a
deal we can't use gzip on a 500k file?).  So now I go off to try and
find an RPM for some sort of bzip compression tool.  Guess what...
nada.  And no good instructions for how to deal with the binaries.

So my question is this:  Just how many rabbit holes do I have to crawl
into to install icecast?

There has GOT to be an easier way to install this.. what am I missing?

-Ian.