[Icecast] latency

Karl Heyes karl
Mon Jul 5 08:44:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 16:29, adam wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am just about to try (next week) some streaming to Icecast2 over a
> satellite uplink in a remote location. I was wondering if anyone has tried
> this and if there are any issues that I shoudl be prepared for. One issue
> I am wary of is the possible role latency will play in this system.
>
> Any pointers on streaming over high latency or satellite internet
> connections most appreciated!

whenever TCP is being used, you should always consider the latency
factor as that determines the theoretical max connection bandwidth.
The main things you can check for are to make sure that your systems
support TCP window scaling and maybe even TCP SACK, eg most UNIX type
systems have window scaling enabled but most MS windows do not.

karl.