[icecast] bit/bytes

Joe Jones joe_jones64 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 29 12:33:19 UTC 2004

If you look at the PLS file for SomaFM's "Goove Salad" channel you'll see :

[playlist]
numberofentries=3
File1=http://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1018
Title1=SomaFM Presents: Groove Salad 128k (Feed #1)
Length1=-1
File2=http://205.188.245.133:8076
Title2=SomaFM Presents: Groove Salad 128k (Feed #2)
Length2=-1
File3=http://server2.somafm.com:8032
Title3=SomaFM Presents: Groove Salad 128k (Feed #3)
Length3=-1
Version=2

So for this channel they have 3 possible feeds to spread the load over.  You
could be clever and set up some sort of 'round-robbin' system to spread the
load evenly...but I imagine that in this case it's deteremined by the number
of connections per server - Feed #1 fills up to max of say 500 users...so
next user is forwarded to Feed #2.