[icecast] bit/bytes

MacSym macsym69 at yahoo.fr
Sun Feb 29 10:38:15 UTC 2004

Hi everybody,

I have a theoretical question here.

A 128K stream is a 128 KiloBITS (NOT kiloBYTES) per second stream; am I
right? Is a 512k internet connection a 512 kiloBITS or 512 kiloBYTES
connection?

128 KiloBITS = 16 KiloBYTES (8 bits = 1 byte). I am wondering if a 512k
connection (upload and download) could THEORITICALLY handle 4 (512/128) or
32 (512/16) 128k streams?

I am confused because I often read that to calculate the potential number of
listeners with a given connection; you just divide the connection speed by
the stream bit rate... is it true? In this case, how is doing SomaFM to
handle 4000 listeners at 128k?? Do they have a 512 MB connection???

Thanks in advance,

MAX